Friday, Oct. 4, 2024

   Summer just doesn't want to let go. We are still reaching temperatures in the 80s almost every day, and the nighttime temps haven't dropped below 57. It hasn't been conducive to much daytime deer movement. I'm sure things will cool down soon, but it's beginning to make me wonder why summer seems to continue through mid-October and into November every year. When I was a kid, it cooled down quickly and fall was always in the air after we returned to school every year. That is just a thing of the past, and I'm glad I can remember when sweatshirts were a part of the wardrobe every September instead of shorts. 

  I'm working part-time with Cornell Cooperative Extension right now and teaching archery in schools. It keeps me busy and gives me a little background with CCE. I'm hoping it might lead to something else, but we will see what happens. I spent the last two weeks in Fort Ann central schools, and we had Friday off for Superintendent's Day. 

  I decided to hunt but didn't want to carry a stand. I knew that decision might bite me, but it was a chance I was willing to take because I wanted to cover some ground to see if I could find some sign. I sat until about 9:30 before deciding to wander around. 

  In my travels, I uncovered a lot of very impressive sign and quickly learned there's a big buck inhabiting the area where I've been spending some time. However, the scrapes and rubs he has laid down seem to be random. I'm trying to figure out what he's doing, but nothing has clicked yet. I need some fo the leaves to fall so I can get a better idea of where they're feeding regularly. Scrapes are all over the woods in random places. Although I know where I can intercept the deer, it doesn't lend to a very confident feeling with a bow. A muzzleloader would definitely make it easier, then I wouldn't have to be in the perfect place for a shot. 


Some good scrapes are popping up too


I even found an old tree stand in my travels




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End of the Year Flurry

Monday, Nov. 27, 2023

Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2023