Thursday, Nov. 23, 2023

   There has never been anything like hunting on Thanksgiving Day. I've enjoyed it since I was a kid. It has always been something I've looked forward to. However, as the the years have passed, the day doesn't seem to have the same luster it used to have when I was growing into adulthood. 

 Anyhow,  I made my way into the woods this morning behind my dad. It brought me back to a time when I never thought about aging. I thought Dad and I would be able to hunt forever. It's amazing how when we are young we don't think we will ever see the effects of getting older. We think we will be able to climb mountains one after another and return to do it day after day after day.

  It was bitter sweet to follow Dad into the woods this morning. He doesn't go like he used to, but he still goes. I can recall trying my hardest to keep up to him and not complain. He could easily walk be into the ground. This lasted many years, probably until about eight years ago. As difficult as it has been, I've accepted the fact that we can never go back in time. That's why we have all the memories we've made. I can revisit them anytime I want to, and I'll be forever thankful for that. 

  It was a chilly morning. The wind continued hammering out of the northwest. We haven't been able to escape the wind this season in the Adirondacks. We agreed to meet back at camp at 10 so we would have enough time to get home for Thanksgiving dinner. 

  When 11: 30 came, I became panic-stricken. Dad was over and hour and a half late. I was consumed with worry and didn't know what to do. I packed my gear and headed back into the woods to find him. My search didn't last long, as we met as soon as I got into the woods. 

  I wasn't happy about the situation, and he knew it. I asked why he was so late, and he told me he had no way of telling time because he didn't have his phone and his GPS had quit working. I was just thankful he was OK. 

  It was an unsuccessful Thanksgiving Day hunt, but it was successful in more ways than I ever could've imagined. I'm still hunting with my dad, and that's all I could ever ask for. That's what I'm thankful for on this day. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday, Sept. 27, 2023

A New Home for my Hunting Journal

End of the Year Flurry